Translate

Thursday 4 December 2008

What I actually did

I had an interesting moral dilemma yesterday. Hurrying to a friend who wanted me at a certain place at a certain time on a cold icy day with dangerously slippery pavements, I found I had nearly fallen over twice before I descended a footbridge and encountered a mother struggling to carry a pushchair up the stairs.

I remarked that the streets were lethally slippery and that I had nearly fallen over a few times. I added that I would take the long way round if I were her, just because the steps coming up were already very slippery.

She brightened up at my chattiness and asked if I would do her the favour of helping her with the pushchair.

The long and short of it was that I declined, saying that

(a) the stairs were very dangerous and slippery and I did not want to fall over myself

(b) I was already late for an appointment

(c) I really did recommend that she took the long way round even if it took more time

I did not say that I would never forgive myself if I assisted her in something I had already warned her against and injured myself in the process. Having an idea of the kind of temptation that Providence would find irresistible, I felt falling down the steps and breaking my crown or being the one tumbling after would be an outcome not at all unlikely.

It was only a day later that I realised that I should have helped her down the stairs again with the pushchair so that she would have been in a better position of following my advice of taking the longer way round.

Instead, I hurried on leaving her to struggle alone, falsely reassured that I had at least given her sensible advice and done all I could as a good citizen. A better citizen would have seen to it that she received the assistance and encouragement she needed to follow my advice.

1 comment:

Jeff Marshall said...

Her idea was to lift the pushchair up the stairs - this being so she decided to ask for your help.

You refused, as you had every right to.

However she didn't ask for your advice; nor a practical demonstration (by helping her to carry it back down again) that your advice was the best available under the circumstances.

The woman's determination reminds me of a couple of familiar scenes from films.

First, 'The Music Box' with Laurel and Hardy, who remained undaunted in their efforts to heave a piano up a steep staircase by the piano continually rolling down to the bottom again.

They simply repeated the process over & over – it dawning on them only much later to use the nearby road instead.

Second, Eliot Ness (played by Kevin Costner) at the end of 'The Untouchables', hurling himself towards a pram being slowly lifted up the stairs of Chicago's Grand Central Station to prevent the baby getting hit by a stray bullet.

'Elf and safety considerations did not appear to be uppermost in his mind at the time.

So whatever happened to chivalry, eh?

Vincent Bruno's dystopian utopia v Claire Khaw's proposed one-party theocracy

https://t.co/MXzLdhUyvR — Real Vincent Bruno (@RealVinBruno) April 17, 2024 4:00  Married sex is the most expensive form of sex.  6:00  Marg...