Translate

Monday 7 June 2010

Exploring Islam Foundation




http://www.inspiredbymuhammad.com/


It just makes me want to deface those posters. The guy they used in the "I believe in Social Justice" poster is not exactly the finest example of Muslim manhood, is it? Pockmarked face, horrible goatee moustache, young and bald. Some Muslim men have beautifully trimmed beards. They might as well have used Yasser Arafat or Osama Bin Laden as idealised Muslims. What is wrong with these people??!!

It is like the BNP using Hitler or skinheads and swastikas to advertise their party. Really crap campaign, and here am I, with my wonderful Caliphate-promoting ideas, all lying around gathering dust, unused and eager.

I was at this Islamophobia Conference on Saturday http://www.stopwar.org.uk/content/view/1860/1/.

There were some Muslims saying:

"Muslims care about unemployment!"

"Muslims care about the environment!"

I must say I was very tempted to shout:

"Do Muslims care about immigration? (Come on, Brothers and Sisters, you can tell me!) What about the EU? Are you Europhile or Eurosceptic?"

There was no opportunity for me to put this question. It was very much a "We speak, you listen" kind of conference.


It is not going to persuade people that Muslims are either lovable or harmless, that's all I am saying. It will just reinforce all the stereotypes.

"Ugly Muslim man with ugly Islamic goatee beard ... "

"Another bloody towelhead ... " etc.

"Why can't you just agree with us without going around looking like ragheads and blowing us up?"

Actually, I think it is pointless to tell people that Muslims are mostly harmless, decent and lovable.

The fact is people love to hate Muslims.

The only way to get round that is to show why it might be advantageous to be a Muslim.

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2010/06/uk-third-of-muslim-prisoners-convert-in.html comes to mind, though it may have some presentational problems.

If they hired me, I could run a real poster campaign for them.

No comments:

Vincent Bruno is dismayed to be told that theocracy is necessary to make white people marry again

https://t.co/k5DOSS5dv4 — Real Vincent Bruno (@RealVinBruno) March 27, 2024 10:00  Gender relations 12:00  Anthony Trollope 14:00  Being bot...