Translate

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Ten Philosophical Questions for School of Life Philosophers

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=499672659143
explains what they are about. 

My email to them of today:

1. Is philosophy a substitute for religion as far as you are concerned?
2. Would you say that philosophers should always be prepared to engage with people whose views he or she does not like?
3. What would you say are the sacred cows and taboos of our age?
4. What do you think is wrong with Western civilization?
5. What do you think is the purpose of life?
6. What do you think is the purpose of YOUR life?
7. Should philosophy be political?
8. Is philosophy political?
9. Should School of Life be prepared to court controversy?
10. Would and should School of Life invite anyone regarded by the political establishment as controversial to give a talk?

I hope these questions will be enjoyed and answered by School of Life philosophers to whom I hope this will be circulated. I would prefer short answers.

While I find the idea of the School of Life very attractive, I am under the impression that this school of philosophy only does light-weight and feel-good stuff rather than concerning itself on genuinely profound matters, such as morality and politics, which is the sort of thing I am really interested in.

I would be very happy to revise my opinion in the light of the evidence which would come in the quality of the answers I receive."

No comments:

Public order, public morality and public education

https://t.co/pgUwDUExiT — Real Vincent Bruno (@RealVinBruno) April 23, 2024 2:00  Denmark outlaws Koran-burning. https://www.samaa.tv/208735...