Translate

Monday 12 March 2012

Nicklinson should DIY to DIE and abjure assisted suicide

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9137767/Tony-Nicklinson-right-to-die-case-Legal-action-can-go-ahead.html


“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

I wouldn't want to ask my doctor to kill me if I could do it myself. As a doctorm I wouldn't like my suicidal and attention-seeking patients to be constantly asking me to finish them off.

So I would refuse food and water and be dead within 3 days rather than waste taxpayers' money on lawyers fees on this tedious issue again, or waste whatever money I had left on a one-way trip to Switzerland with my spouse.

Imagine, just imagine, going all the way to the Dignitas clinic and then changing my mind at the last minute.  Wouldn't the missus be furious with me!  I can just imagine her sulking and sullen on the plane all the way back to Heathrow.  Life really wouldn't be worth living after that.

It is a good thing that it takes a long time, because you can change your mind at any time. And you still get the attention you crave.

The consequence of this is that there will soon probably be a law allowing the doctor to kill you if you ask for it and more and more suicidal and depressed attention-seeking people demanding to be killed by their doctors.

DIY to DIE should be the motto of those so physically incapacitated that they cannot kill themselves.  Even if they lack the physical capacity to put a plastic bag over their heads, accidentally on purpose fall on their swords, commit seppuku or jigai http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku they can still refuse to be fed and watered.

If you really really really want to die, this is what you would do. That was how the old lady next door who broke her hip died, when she ended up in a nursing home. The first time I visited she was unconscious and breathing through an oxygen mask. The next time I was told she had passed away after starving herself to death. I was impressed at the simplicity of her solution.

She was one of the old-fashioned English types who didn't want to make a fuss.

She didn't have any children and knew she would never move back to her flat again. So she did what she felt was the most sensible thing in her circumstances.  It made perfect sense to me anyway.

No comments:

The Founding Fathers challenged absolute monarchy and its abuse of power

https://t.co/XiPCeEctAz — Real Vincent Bruno (@RealVinBruno) April 25, 2024 5:00  Fear levels of Arabs explained by the assassination of Ja...